Just as nutrition is needed for a healthy body, nutrients are also essential for healthy hair. One such essential nutrient for your hair is biotin.
Biotin offers many benefits for your hair, whether you take it as a supplement or apply it topically.
This article explains the link between biotin and hair health and whether this vitamin is effective and safe for hair growth.
Biotin for Hair Growth
Biotin is an essential vitamin, which helps in the formation of keratin in the body. Keratin is a type of protein, which is essential for the formation of hair, skin and nails. Let us understand the relationship between biotin and hair growth through some research -
- According to a 2016 study, a lack of biotin in the body can lead to hair fall. This study by itself is not enough to say that taking biotin can drive hair growth. However, it does support the view that biotin can help prevent hair loss and baldness.
- Alopecia can affect both men and women. Biotin can stop hair loss and even prevent alopecia from setting in.
- A 2012 study found that taking a multivitamin containing biotin can lead to thicker hair and better growth. However, since there are many other ingredients in multivitamins, it is not entirely correct to entirely attribute the multivitamin’s hair growth properties to biotin.
- There is no denying the fact that there is no harm in taking biotin in proper quantity as recommended by your doctor. Using biotin-based products or supplementing it can be beneficial for your hair.
Types of biotin
Let us now learn about the different types of biotin that you can include in your hair care regimen.
- Biotin-rich foods: Many foods that we commonly eat contain biotin. Biotin is naturally found in eggs (10 mcg), salmon fish (5 mcg), sweet potatoes (2.4 mcg), almonds (1.5 mcg) and broccoli (0.4 mcg). Eating such biotin-rich foods is likely the best way of including biotin in your daily hair care.
- Biotin Shampoos: Many companies manufacture shampoos containing biotin for hair fall. These shampoos may prove beneficial to some extent, but no research is available in this regard.
- Supplements: If biotin in the body is not supplied by food, then it can be taken as a supplement. Sprout Biotin is one such supplement. It is made naturally, due to which there is no side effect from taking it. Also, it can be taken for a long time.
Biotin is an essential vitamin that can be helpful in keeping your hair healthy. Adding biotin-rich foods to your diet can be beneficial. However, if you have a biotin deficiency or its symptoms, then it is better to consult a doctor and take biotin supplements according to their recommendation. Do not take biotin supplements without a doctor's advice.